Sustonica is a sustainability certification program specifically designed for holiday rentals and Earthstays has joined forces with Sustonica, to ensure the environmental and social responsibility of their listings.
Through this partnership, Earthstays aims to have holiday rentals independently assessed and validated against the Sustonica standard, which is built upon the United Nations’ seventeen Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as well as incorporating the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) Criteria and the Travalyst framework for accommodation.
The Sustonica standard encompasses several key criteria categories:
- Energy Conservation: Properties must demonstrate efforts to conserve energy and implement sustainable energy practices to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Promoting Destination & Community: The certification evaluates whether the properties contribute positively to the local community and promote the destination in an ethical and sustainable manner
- Waste Reduction: Properties are expected to minimise waste generation and implement effective waste management practices to reduce their impact on the environment.
- Water Conservation: Conservation of water resources is vital and properties must showcase their measures to reduce water consumption and promote responsible water usage.
- Swimming Pool / Hot Tub Environmental Impact (if applicable): Properties with swimming pools or hot tubs must ensure they are operated in an environmentally manner to mitigate their impact on the ecosystem.
To receive the Sustonica certification badge, holiday rental properties must provide comprehensive documentation and geolocalised photos as evidence of their adherence to the sustainability criteria. These proofs are then thoroughly examined by an external auditor to ensure accuracy and transparency in the certification process.
Once properties successfully fulfilled the Sustonica standard and pass the validation process, the Sustonica badge will be shown on their Earthstays listing, signifying their commitment to sustainability.
This badge serves as a visible symbol for travellers, making it easier for them to identify and choose eco-friendly and socially responsible holiday accommodations.
For further information about Sustonica and its sustainable certification program visit Sustonica.com